TABUELAN 111 STORY
Tabuelan 111 is a triathlon event in the town of Tabuelan, Cebu, Philippines located 87 kilometers from the City of Cebu. Dubbed as Tabuelan 111 since it involves a 2-km SWIM, 88-km BIKE and 21-km RUN for a total of 111 kilometers. This year’s race last June 5, 2016 was our 5th year. It started in 2012 and is a perfect venue to test one’s endurance and skill since it is scheduled a few weeks before the Ironman 70.3 Philippines. Tabuelan 111 triathlon is now considered as one of the best triathlon races our country has to offer. In fact, it was awarded as the BEST DOMESTIC SPORTS EVENT OF THE YEAR 2015 by the Department of Tourism, Philippine Sports Commission and the Philippine Olympic Committee in the 1st Philippine Sports Tourism Awards 2015 held at Resorts World Manila last November 22, 2016. We are proud that in our own little way we are contributing to the growth of sports tourism not only in the Province of Cebu, the region but the country as a whole. Two thumbs up for this!
Tabuelan may be a small town but it is able to host the longest triathlon distance in Cebu and was the chosen as the number 1 local triathlon in the country as featured in www.swimbikerun.ph website. There is no elaborate set-up with Mayor Rex Gerona, also a triathlete, First Lady Marifi Gerona, an event organizer for overall set up and Mr. Junki Flores as race director when it started in 2012. The three are said to be the brains behind this event. We are proud to say that this big event is organized purely by the locals of Tabuelan. We have over 400 volunteers from Deped, the youth sector, municipal officials, barangay officials and from other various sectors greatly contributing to the success of this event. Tabuelan 111 as a local triathlon has a big reputation in terms of attendance with over 600 triathletes participating (quite an achievement), high quality race, excellent freebies and a welcome dinner with matching fireworks that everyone looks forward to.
Tabuelan 111 is our humble gift to our town and one of the highlights of our annual town fiesta celebrated in honor of Señor San Juan Bautista. The excitement and happy feeling of doing Tabuelan 111 is simply immeasurable. In fact, because of the success of the event for 5 straight years, we will be hosting the first ever Tabuelan 226 full Ironman distance on September 16, 2017. This is another FIRST in the Province of Cebu. Choosing Tabuelan as your next triathlon destination is sure to be rewarding as you discover nature's richness, history, culture and the authentic hospitality the Tabuelan way.
WHY JOIN TABUELAN 226 TRIATHLON?
With the above mentioned highlights of Tabuelan 111, there is no reason why you will not level up and join Tabuelan 226 triathlon on September 16, 2017 at Maravilla, Tabuelan, Cebu. The last full distance triathlon in the Philippines was December 1, 2012 in Anda, Bohol. For those of you who have been wanting so much to do this, now is the BEST TIME to do this. We will NOT have half distance and relay categories for Tabuelan226.
Every year, Tabuelan Mayor Rex Gerona and the organizing team makes sure that the race would be unforgettable and checked every single detail of organizing a good race. The day before race day, a Holy Mass will be held at 4pm followed by a sumptuous dinner buffet and live entertainment during the race briefing. Spectacular fireworks display also set the mood of the race.
During race day, we have Zumba for all at the beachfront and group photo ops. All the athletes and their bikes are blessed by the Tabuelan parish priest before the race starts. The race organizer, race director with their team of marshals makes sure that every participant is safe and race-ready. The much needed water stations are located every single kilometer of the course, which offers ice-cold water, soda and fruits to help athletes complete their race even until after cut-off time. The locals are also encouraging as they sit alongside the bike/run course and cheer the athletes on.
During the bike course, safety is guaranteed as the roads even if not totally closed to traffic because of the duration of the race, will be controlled and closely monitored. Bike marshals will be constantly checking the route until the last biker is in.
After crossing the finish line, athletes are greeted with a finisher’s medal, a good meal and lots of fluids to start their recovery. It has everything any triathlete would want at any race. Kindly invite family and friends to the FIRST EVER full distance triathlon in the Province of Cebu. Tabuelan awaits YOU! So register NOW!
Individual FullGun Start: 7:00 AM
3.8KM Swim, 180KM Bike, 42.2KM Run
Early Bird registration rate of P 12,500 is from December 4, 2016 to January 31, 2017 or until the first 200 slots are filled-out. Only early registrants' race kits will be PERSONALIZED with their complete names on the medals and nicknames on the finisher shirts. Regular rate will be P14,500. Registration ends on June 30, 2017.
How to Register Online
- STEP 1: Fill out the Online Registration Form
STEP 2: Pay the Registration Fee
- Credit Card / Debit Card / PayPal
BPI Checking Account: 9130-0188-98
Wilfredo Barcenas Jr. or Marifi Gerona
(If you paid via Credit Card / PayPal, proceed to STEP 4)
- STEP 3: Scan or take a photo of the deposit slip or payment receipt, and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject, "Deposit Slip: <Your Name>, Tabuelan 226". Then Request the organizer to confirm your registration.
- STEP 4: Receive Confirmation Email. It will contain instructions on how to claim your Race Kit.
- The organizers will only accept the first 200 registrants.
- The Race Director and Race Referee shall have the authority to disqualify participants.
- Medical personnel shall have ULTIMATE AND FINAL authority to remove a participant from the race if the participant is judged to be physically incapable of continuing the race without risk of serious injury or death. Participants who receive IV treatment during the event will be withdrawn from the race.
- No contestant may use alcohol or any illegal, detrimental or dangerous drugs, stimulants, depressants or other substances with the intent to improve their performance, eliminate the sense of fatigue or for any other purpose.
- Good sportsman-like conduct will be demanded of all competitors. Fraud, theft and acts of grossly unsportsman-like conduct are grounds for immediate disqualification and will result in competitors being prevented from competing in any event in the future.
- If a competitor decides to withdraw from the race at any time, it is their responsibility to notify the support station captain, race official or the Information Centre. Failure to give notification after withdrawing from the race may result in the competitor being prevented from competing in any event in the future.
- We reserve the right to make rule changes at any time provided all athletes are notified in writing and/ or at the pre-race compulsory briefing.
- No headphones or headsets may be worn during the race.
- Race entrants may not compete with a bare torso.
- The responsibility of keeping on the correct course and loop counts rests with the competitor.
- Any protests regarding decisions made by Race Officials must be made in person and received by the Race Referee or Race Director within two hours of finishing the event. The protest note should be handed in to the Information Centre.
- Swim Course official cut-off time is 2 hours and 20 minutes after the race start.
- Bike Course official cut-off time is 10 hours and 30 minutes after the race start.
- Official race cut-off time is 17 hours but since we are expecting a lot of first timers, we will wait until the last athlete finishes the race even beyond the official cut-off time.
- Swim will start at 7:00am.
- Swim course will be closed 2 hours and 20 minutes from race start.
- Each swimmer must wear the cap provided at registration.
- No fins, paddles, snorkels, flotation devices of any kind are permitted.
- Swim goggles or face masks may be worn.
- No individual paddlers or escorts allowed.
- Swimmers will be required to use the body tattoos provided to indicate their race number on their arms and calves.
- Any assistance required during swim will result in disqualification.
- The bike course will close 10 hours and 30 minutes after the start of the race. It will not be totally closed to traffic but will definitely be a controlled route.
- No drafting is permitted. The cycle draft zone is a 7 metre by 3-metre rectangle. When overtaking, a competitor has 15 seconds to pass through this zone. The cyclist overtaken has 15 seconds to drop out of the draft zone. First violation is a stand down, second violation will result in disqualification. A four-minute stand down time penalty will be incurred for all drafting and blocking infringements imposed by race technical officials. This time penalty will be served on the course.
- Each competitor must wear a race number at all times while on the course. Race numbers issued by Tabuelan 226 identify the official competitors in the race. Numbers must be placed on the back of the cyclist upper clothing where it is clearly visible. A numbered tag will also be placed on the bike frame and must remain on the bike throughout the race. Folding, cutting race numbers, intentional alteration of any kind, or failure to wear race numbers is STRICTLY PROHIBITED and may result in disqualification.
- Helmets must be available commercially and without any further modifications. Any contestant seen riding without wearing an approved helmet will be immediately disqualified. Leather or vinyl hairnet helmets will NOT be allowed. Athletes not wearing helmets with chinstrap secured during any section of the bike leg will be disqualified and removed from the course.
- Athletes who withdraw at any time on Race Day must notify the Information Centre.
- No individual support allowed. Ample support stations will be provided. Friends, family members, coaches or supporters of any type may NOT bike or drive along side competitors, may not pass food or other items to competitors and should be warned to stay completely clear of all competitors to avoid their disqualification. It is your responsibility to immediately reject any attempt to assist, follow or escort.
- Each participant will be INDIVIDUALLY RESPONSIBLE for repair and maintenance of his/her own bike. Assistance by anyone other than official technical support personnel will be grounds for immediate disqualification. This disallows the use of spare wheels and back-up bikes and requires that each competitor be prepared to handle any possible mechanical malfunction.
- Cyclists are expected to heed directions and instructions of all race officials and public authorities. Participant may run / walk their bike if necessary.
- Competitors are individually responsible for following the Municipal traffic road code and are solely responsible for the consequences of any infractions. KEEP TO THE RIGHT. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES CROSS YELLOW CENTRE LINES.
- Blocking or restricting the ability of cyclists to pass is prohibited. Cyclists must ride as close to the RIGHT hand side of the road as possible, unless passing. Failure to do so will result in a four minute stand-down on the course.
- The event will close 17 hours after the start of the race but since we are expecting a lot of first timers, we will wait until the last athlete finishes the race even beyond the official cut-off time.
- No form of locomotion other than running or walking is allowed.
- Runners must wear the race number at all times on the course. Race numbers issued by TABUELAN 226 identify the official contestants in the race. Folding, cutting race number, intentional alteration of any kind, or failure to wear the race number is STRICTLY PROHIBITED and may result in disqualification. Race number must be placed on the front of the runner’s upper clothing where it is clearly visible and must not be obscured from view.
- No individual support vehicles or non-participant escort runners or cyclists are allowed. This is an INDIVIDUAL endurance event. Team work as a result of outside assistance which provides an advantage over single competitors is not allowed. It is the responsibility of each competitor to immediately reject any attempt to assist, follow or escort. It is permissible for contestants who are still competing to run with other contestants who are also still competing.
- Runners are expected to follow the directions and instructions of all race officials and public authorities.
- Breaches of the rules will incur a four-minute stand-down period on the course. Breaches include outside assistance and pacing. More than one breach anytime during the race will incur disqualification.
One race kit will be provided for every registrant.
Race Kit Distribution
September 15, 2017 from 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM @ Maravilla Beach Resort
All participants will enjoy a Buffet Dinner (September 15) and Buffet Dinner (September 16). Participants may avail extra meal wrist bands for their guests at these prices:
- ONLY 150/pax for Adults per meal (dinner)
- ONLY 100/pax for Children 12 years old and below per meal (dinner)
Accommodations / Resort
For inquiries on accommodation, please contact Ms. Inma Bandolon at +639295829184.
Contact the Race Organizer
For any inquiries about this race, please contact the race organizer directly:
- Jun Barcenas
- Other Contact Info
- Marifi Gerona
- Marifi Gerona